Thursday, August 26, 2010

Day #8, Free Verse, because I wanna!



Definition of Free Verse
Free Verse is a form of Poetry composed of either rhymed or unrhymed lines that have no set fixed metrical pattern. The early 20th-century poets were the first to write what they called "free verse" which allowed them to break from the formula and rigidity of traditional poetry. The poetry of Walt Whitman provides many illustrations of Free Verse including his poem "Song of Myself".


Magic Made Here
There is magic made here and
I forget too soon
that I have left no room
for it. My mind has filled
to overflow with worries
and silly things and 
so I build these towers 
but do not see.

He takes a train and counts them out
One. Two. Three. Four.
His plump little hand slowly rolls the cars
carefully through each giant tunnel
I see the excitement in his smile
So slow, so reverent.
So absolutely two, so absolutely right.
There is magic here.

The trains race through these giant tunnels
so tall and the wandering ant
has everything at a standstill
because the engine is afraid
and Charlie grins, Uh Oh!
Whoo whoo and he giggles and the frightened train 
slowly begins again and continues through
always looking behind for the feared ant
and suddenly I feel the surge of it,
the way my stomach lurches when we 
go under the tunnel because it is so tall
but not so sturdy and any moment it could fall
and like falls smokey air wafting in the wind
the tingle of  danger, of adventure and magic find me.






No comments: